Durante, Bock & Tota PLLC 914-245-6060
Yorktown Heights Lawyer Firm Profile Testimonials Practice Areas Links Contact Us
We are a community law firm with a large range of practice areas. Choose a firm with over thirty years of experience. Why should you hire a lawyer?
Contact Us
Practice Area Information
Personal Injury
Family Law / Matrimonial
Business Law
Criminal Law / V&T
Landlord Tenant Law
Wills / Trusts / Estates / Probate
Collaborative Law Information
Collaborative Law
Attorney Information
Aaron C. Bock, Esq.
Daniel R. Tota, Esq.
Albert J. Durante, Esq.
Melissa A. D'Ippolito, Esq.
Christine M. Murphy, Esq.
Robert J. Hoffman, Esq. Of-Counsel
Ingrid E. O'Sullivan, Esq. Of-Counsel
Angelo G. MacDonald, Esq. Of-Counsel
Click here to visit our Blog

2000 Maple Hill Street, Suite 206, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

Contested Divorce

If you are seeking divorce then you will greatly benefit from the legal assistance of a representative from Durante, Bock & Tota, PLLC. Our firm has helped numerous individuals separate from their spouses in the past and we will be able to assist you. In the state of New York there were over 56,000 divorce cases that occurred in 2010. It is not uncommon to want dissolution of your marriage. However, in order to legally obtain this, you must have valid grounds for divorce. There are seven different elements that the courts in New York recognize as grounds for divorce:

  • Irretrievable breakdown, this can also be considered irreconcilable difference.
  • Cruel and inhuman treatment, if you are the victim of domestic violence, abuse or neglect then you may be able to obtain a divorce.
  • Abandonment, there were over 30,000 cases of abandonment divorce in New York in 2010.
  • Imprisonment, you are able to obtain dissolution of your marriage if your spouse is imprisoned for more than three years.
  • Adultery, infidelity is a ground for divorce recognized in New York.
  • Judgment of separation, this is not a very common situation as this generally requires the same proofs as divorce and most couples will go straight to divorce.
  • Separation Agreement, if you and your spouse have not lived together for more than a year then you can sign this agreement.

If you are seeking divorce but your spouse is not in agreement then you may be facing contested divorce. If you and your spouse are unable to come to agreement on the various terms of your divorce then you could also be facing contested divorce. If you believe that you have grounds for divorce then you can file a petition and have your attorney serve the process on your spouse.

How We Can Help You

If you are facing contested divorce then a representative from our firm will be able to help you through this process and to make this as expedient as possible and to help you obtain the best possible arrangements of the various issues that will arise. Our firm has over 100 years of combined experience; let us use our experience for you. Contact our firm today for skillful representation today.